Home › Health Topics › Safety & First Aid > 

Safety - blind, curtain and electrical cords

blinds; curtain; cords; ;


Loose blind, curtain and electrical cords can kill - fix them out of reach so kids are out of danger. Blind, curtain and electrical cords pose a serious risk for babies and young children – particularly for children under 6 years old.

  • Children can place their head in the loop created by a cord, or get tangled in long cords, when playing near cords or sleeping in a cot where cords are hanging. If children then try to sit or if they fall down they can strangle themsleves.
  • The cord or chain loop used to open and close vertical blinds can also strangle children.
  • Children can pull on electrical cords and spill hot water or touch hot or dangerous appliances.

For more information about blind and curtain cord safety have a look at the pamphlet developed by Product Safety Australia  'Blinds and curtains'.  

It does not matter which room has a blind or curtain with a cord, children can move fast and can climb on furniture in any room.

back to top

The information on this site should not be used as an alternative to professional care. If you have a particular problem, see a doctor, or ring the Parent Helpline on 1300 364 100 (local call cost from anywhere in South Australia).

This topic may use 'he' and 'she' in turn - please change to suit your child's sex.

Home › Health Topics › Safety & First Aid >